Sunday, October 4, 2015

The genius of hip hop

I get a little impatient – not that I ever show it, mind you! – with people who make such sweeping statements as, “I don’t like jazz.” Or, “I don’t like classical music.” Or its subset, “I don’t like opera.”

There is so much jazz, so much classical, so many operas. How is it possible to dismiss such vast swaths of music? I hesitate to put it this way but it shows a willful ignorance to throw out such generalizations and it shows a kind of close-mindedness that is not admirable.

Having said that, I know there are music-lovers who agree with me on jazz and classical but who would never criticize someone who said, “I don’t like hip hop.” Oh yes, much easier to go along with that one, isn’t it?

There’s a lot to dislike in a lot of hip hop – the violence, the misogyny, the hatefulness – and yet, like other branches of music, there’s something to love too.

Which brings me to Buck 65, whom I’ve loved for a long time. Buck 65 – also known as Rich Terfry* from Mount Uniacke, NS – is a hip hop artist who’s a treasure. He’s a poet and a humanitarian and an astute observer of the human condition. He’s eloquent and funny.

We went to see him last evening in concert with Symphony Nova Scotia. It was a wonderful combination – our superior musicians paired with the poetry of Buck 65 made for a memorable performance.

We’re grateful supporters of Symphony NS and we choose a diversity of concerts over the season. We usually try to do at least one concert in the “pop” category. Last year, it was genius fiddler, Ashley MacIsaac. This year, the genius of hip hop, Buck 65. It’s always an eye-opener to see these artists in combination with the symphony. I recommend it if you get the chance.


*Listeners to CBC Radio – I stopped listening to radio a few years ago – will know Rich from his hosting duties on CBC Radio 2.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'll try again. In fact, I don't like hip hop mostly because I cannot understand what is being said, and my hearing is fine. OK, I like Rich Terfry.
    L

    ReplyDelete