Friday, October 30, 2015

Hallowe'en: The Preview

These pictures are from last year, 2014. Every year is different so we'll see how this year measures up.

Not every year has five jack-o'-lanterns but the official carver-in-residence (Dan) must have been feeling particularly creative and ambitious last year. This is what the jacks looked like in the daylight:

William was not a conventionally artistically-inclined kid in school. His drawings (usually in pencil) were often detailed and enigmatic, with levels of great complexity and many incomprehensible things happening. The teachers never appreciated his drawings – there were no nice colours on them – but I used to at least try to figure them out.

If, however, the teacher gave him a piece of orange construction paper and told him to cut it into a circle and put a face on it, he was quite capable and co-operative. His pumpkins with faces are part of our Hallowe'en decor to this day. You can see them on the front door. It's not so easy to see the smiling witch but she's there. She's attached to those orange hands.

Speaking of smiling witches. . . I wear this hat in solidarity with witches, of course.

I don't really like Hallowe'en but I do it anyway. My late mother used to recall that I didn't like Hallowe'en as a small child either. She said I always objected to being made to get dressed in a costume. She said I gave her the impression that I felt it was unseemly to go to other people's houses, asking for candy. Years later, when I told this to a friend, he said, "I don't think I've ever known a five-year-old curmudgeon."

Who knows? Maybe I'd miss it if it weren't here.

This is what the jacks looked like after dark. They're real works of art, aren't they?

1 comment:

  1. Yes they are, and I didn't like H'ween much either. Still don't
    L

    ReplyDelete