Sunday, September 20, 2015

Buckingham Palace: An intro

Yesterday, I provided some background into my life-long relationship with the Royal Family – most specifically with Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth. I did it to explain why I chose Buckingham Palace as one of the places I wanted to visit in London. (It was a short trip and we were three people so we tried to accommodate everyone.)

I was a very young woman when I first went to London. We had flown there directly from Newfoundland where we had spent the summer. England is not really far from Newfoundland and it was a short flight. When we got there, the air felt different and it smelled different and the cars were all driving on the wrong side. Even so, I needed some proof that I was really there and the way I thought I could convince myself was to see Buckingham Palace.

So that was our first stop all those years ago. The palace itself doesn’t look much different.

What is different are the crowds. Thousands of people fill the sidewalks and streets and accessible grounds in the neighbourhood.

Tourism seems to be doing just fine, thanks.

The other major difference between now and then is that certain parts of Buckingham Palace are now open to the public. We booked before we left home and so we arrived with tickets to visit The Queen’s Gallery , the Royal Mews and the State Rooms.

It took much of a day to see it all – we also walked out the back way behind the palace and enjoyed the very beautiful park.

Because I’ve spent too much of this evening watching the Emmy Awards on television, I will be back tomorrow with details on the visit to Buckingham Palace.

Including this:

(I know I don't have to remind you but please click on the photos to get the lovely big version.)

1 comment:

  1. My mother had a tiny representation of this coach on her dressing table.

    ReplyDelete