Thursday, September 10, 2015

A walk in the rain

I wore a Fitbit during our recent trip to England and the north of France. If it could think, it might wonder what was going on.

At home, I do most of my walking on the treadmill. I do it purely out of duty, knowing – because I can’t avoid reading and hearing it constantly – that 30 minutes of walking a day is good for my health. I don’t really like it but I usually do more than 30 minutes.

I’ve never enjoyed “going for a walk.” When people talk about “going for a walk” as if it’s a nice pastime, I mostly feel at a loss.

When we go on a trip, it’s entirely different. I walk many miles a day and as long as my shoes don't disappoint me, I hardly complain at all.

On this trip, the walking ranged from crowded London streets to a medieval town’s cobblestones to World War I trenches and tunnels to the long boardwalk surrounding Stonehenge. I realize looking back at the photos that much of the walking was done in the rain and I don’t remember lodging too many complaints.

Now that we’re home, I’ll try to walk cheerfully and I'll work to increase my treadmill distance. I don’t want to disappoint the Fitbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment